The Sense of an Ending

The Sense of an Ending - Julian Barnes I was debating between 2 and 3 stars for this but stuck with 2 because I liked only the last quarter of the book. The rest drove me absolutely nuts to the point of wanting to throw the thing against the wall, and to do it often. However since I was reading it on the Kindle ... I didn't succumb to the urge.

The book is well written but the pacing drove me insane. The 1st half if not more of the book is laying the groundwork and doing so in such a slow, professorial manner that I wanted to strangle the author. However the characters are drawn succinctly and I knew them immediately ... the problem was that I loathed them all.

The more I think about this book the less I like it. All in all there's nothing good or of value deposited in my head or heart after reading this Prize Winner. It was a whole hell of a lot of navel gazing and rumination on the subjective nature of history/memory.

Ugh ... now that I've got that off my chest. Here's the last bit to keep in mind. It is said that great art elicits strong emotional response. Well it did so for me.